A new curriculum by Amy-Jill Levine, in Signs and Wonders will begin October 16, in Room 107 at 9:45 a.m. It is a 6-week study of the miracles of Jesus. Books are $13. Come join us!
Explore the miracles of Jesus in Signs and Wonders with Amy-Jill Levine, Professor of New Testament studies and Bible study author. In Signs and Wonders: A Beginner’s Guide to the Miracles of Jesus, Amy-Jill Levine explores selected miracles of Jesus in historical and theological contexts.
For each miracle, she discusses how past witnesses would have understood the events and how today’s readers can draw meaning from Jesus’s words and actions. Chapter topics include:
- Giving sight to the blind: Metaphors of understanding (Mark 8, John 9)
- “Take up your pallet and walk” (the paralyzed man): On the role of caregivers
- A bleeding woman and a dead girl: The importance of women’s bodies
- Walking on water and stilling the storm: Ecological readings of the Gospels
- The feeding of the 5,000 (or more): The centrality of bread
- The raising of Lazarus: Taking death seriously